Monday, November 19, 2018

#3


quick note: #13 has an alternate track for Spotify because they do not have the full Akira soundtrack in their database. I highly recommend this album, which was re-released on 180 gram vinyl last year. The group that composed it is one of a kind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geinoh_Yamashirogumi

The Life I Live - Pete Rock

I had a conversation with a friend a while back about our favorite hip hop producers. As I recall, both of our top two were J Dilla and Pete Rock, except his number one was Dilla and mine was Pete. He was surprised by my choice, considering how pioneering Dilla was. I fully acknowledge Dilla's genius as well as the profound influence he has had on modern music, but there is something about Pete's aesthetic that resonates with me more personally. I love repetition in music. When a loop is composed or constructed well, it can be repeated forever and I won't get tired of it. (Another context where this comes up in the music I listen to is with 1970's Malian groups such as Super Biton de Segou and L'Orchestre Kanaga de Mopti.) Pete Rock's loops are deep and hypnotizing. I enjoy playing drums along to his beats to practice pocket, but also because the act of playing one phrase continuously is meditative. I get to a point where my limbs are on auto pilot, locked in to the music, and I am visualizing the sounds. 




1. Plaid Pants - The Black Tones 

2. Big Time - Omer Avital

3. Friday Morning - Khruangbin

4. Graduation Day - Ethan Iverson

5. RollSkate - DJ Harrison

6. untitled 06 | 06.30.2014 - Kendrick Lamar

7. Brother's Keeper - Anderson .Paak, Pusha T

8. Street Pharmacy - Butcher Brown

9. Do It Together - The Midnight Hour

10. Reggae To The High Tower - Don Cherry

11. We Got To Live Together - Buddy Miles

12. The Life I Live - Pete Rock

13. (Tidal) Exodus From The Underground Fortress - Geinoh Yamashirogumi

13. (Spotify) Kaneda - Geinoh Yamashirogumi

14. Track B - Duet Solo Dancers - Charles Mingus

15. I'll Be Good To You - Quincy Jones

16. Honey - Astronote

17. Alienman - Stone Mecca

18. Brown Liquor - Bearaxe









No comments:

Post a Comment

#33 - Quarantine Edition #2

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/b9644c48-4f9c-402a-a029-cfd9ebec171b https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0UNM7lwTlE39IavrhWMaU9 playlist...